Saturday, January 3, 2009

Bloody Bones

Title: Bloody Bones
Author: Laurell Hamilton
Series: Anita Blake Vampire Hunter, Book 5
Genre: Urban fantasy, novel
Published: 1996

Recommendation: Still worth reading as part of the series.
Rating: 6.5/10

Summary:
Anita gets hired to raise a whole cemetery worth of corpses to figure out the land ownership. At the same time, a number of vampire killings happen in the area and Anita is called to investigate. Anita, Larry, Jason (a werewolf introduced in the previous book), and Jean-Claude take a stand against vampires and the fey.

Reactions: This book is in many ways similar to other ones: there is a mystery, there are murders, there is a powerful villain, and plenty of other monsters. As usual, there is a romance/sexual tension angle with Anita and Jean-Claude. However, the biggest change I felt during the book is how far Anita slipped from the principles she held in the first few books. It used to go along the lines of "I will not betray humans to monsters", but became more of, "You have tried to go against me, you deserve to die." Hamilton juxtaposes Larry's moral stance to make this very clear. I have a feeling Anita will just continue to deteriorate in the future books. Is it really good to have a hero, who is not so much a hero anymore? It's not about flawed characters, Anita had enough flaws to start with, but she seems to be moving across the line where I am starting to sympathize with her enemies a little.

So far it is still a fun read. However, several other reviews of the series I have seen mentioned that the series is only worth reading until book 7 or 8. I will still be reading the next book in the series, but I feel this book is the first warning that I will not be reading the whole series.

First Lines:
It was St. Patrick's Day, and the only green I was wearing was a button that read, "Pinch me and you're dead meat."

No comments:

Post a Comment