Sunday, November 28, 2010

Anne of Avonlea

Title: Anne of Avonlea
Author: Lucy Maud Montgomery
Series: Anne of Green Gables, book 2
Genre: Children
Published: 1909

Recommendation: A decent series continuation for those who want to find out about Anne's further adventures.
Rating: 8/10

Summary: Anne takes a teaching position in Avonlea and goes through ups and downs of practical teaching. Marilla brings home twins, Dora and Davy, whose parents died and adopts them. Anne makes some new friendships.

Reactions: I picked up the second Anne book immediately after finishing re-reading the first one. I have also read this one before, but its events were less clear in my memory than those of the first book.

To me, the sequel doesn't quite measure up to the original story. There's something about boisterous, naive Anne that is so charming in the first book that's no longer present here. Nevertheless, it's fun to continue following Anne's life in Avonlea after college.

These are still children books despite the now grown protagonists, so the language and the plot remain uncomplicated and charming. Anne goes through some difficulties, but she also makes new friends, tests some of her theories on teaching, and earns respect of her students.

I felt the conclusion of the book, while wrapping up a chapter of Anne's life didn't give me any particular feeling of closure. More books were being written and many of Anne's adventures were just starting.

1 comment:

  1. "Charming" is a good description of these books, books that I am not in any way ashamed to say I love. I fell hard for Anne while I was in college and my future brother-in-law's future wife (how's that for confusing?), introduced us to the character through Megan Follows' portrayal in the Wonderworks production of Anne of Green Gables. It wasn't long before I visited the library and read the rest of the books in the series. I've read various volumes over and over throughout the past two decades since that time and every time I fall in love with Anne all over again.

    Her love of reading, her active imagination, and her encouragement towards others who are 'kindred spirits' are just some of the things I enjoy about the character. I also credit Anne for turning me on to Tennyson's poem, The Lady of Shalott.

    ReplyDelete