Friday, February 27, 2009

Patrick Rothfuss on delay of Wise Man's Fear

Patrick Rothfuss, whose first book The Name of the Wind was my favorite read of 2008, wrote a rather long post on his blog explaining the delay in the second installment, The Wise Man's Fear. The Wise Man's Fear was originally slotted to be released in April of this year, but this is clearly not happening. Patrick says he is still in process of writing the book, but making plenty of progress on it. I was impressed with his mention of writing 60,000 words in the past 6 weeks. Nevertheless, it looks like the book will probably be slotted to go out next year since publishing always takes a long time.

Patrick also mentions that the new book is even longer than The Name of the Wind and he spends hours thinking about which word to use in a sentence, so at the very least when the book goes out it will probably be totally amazing. I know I can't wait to read it. He also seems to have decided to hold the sort of contest Brandon Sanderson did for WOT and allow readers to name one of the characters. The details are yet to be posted, but this is pretty awesome :) Too bad Patrick doesn't seem to think Wonkerbee Bumchuck is a suitable name. ;)

I really appreciate Patrick Rothfuss taking the time to draw 5(!) comics and write a long post about the book delay. Yes, I wish the book was coming out in a month or two, but as a software engineer I know how products slotted to go out one year sometimes don't release for another year and a half. I do like to know the author's working on the promised book and not taking an extended vacation on Hawaii. There's really nothing like a little honesty and humor to calm me down to wait for the next book to release.

No comments:

Post a Comment