Wednesday, February 1, 2012

January Recap

January is the month when all the gyms get busy with people working on their New Year's resolutions. For me, I hit the "reading gym" and pulled out with 6 books finished this month. This is more books than I've read in any single month last year, though I have to blush at including a couple of really quick reads in here.
  1. Leviathan Wakes by James S.A. Corey
  2. To Say Nothing of the Dog by Connie Willis
  3. The Tiger's Wife by Tea Obreht
  4. Heat Wave by Richard Castle
  5. A Fog of Fury by John F. Merz
  6. Among Others by Jo Walton
There are quite a few books on this list that came from other bloggers' best of 2011 lists and hence I've had a lot of fun reading this month. My favorite book of the month is To Say Nothing of the Dog with Among Others coming in a really close second. It's not that common for me to find a book I enjoy enough to give it a 9 star rating, but to find two in the same month is really great. I just hope this won't spoil me to expect as much from the rest of this year's reading.

Another achievement this month is that every single book I've read is by an author whom I haven't read before. Hence I am making a dent in both my "new author discovery" resolution as well as the grand total.

Having started out the year this well, February might end up a grave disappointment, but I am hoping for the best and starting on Jacqueline Carey's Saints Astray, which is the sequel to Santa Olivia. I enjoyed the first book in the series, so hopefully the sequel will not disappoint.

On a slightly different topic. John Scalzi plans to donate all earnings from e-book sales this week to Planned Parenthood cancer screening program for those who cannot afford these procedures. Scalzi is an amazingly talented writer and I would urge you to buy his books regardless. However, if you buy them this week, I feel your money would be very well spent indeed.

Happy February, everyone! 

No comments:

Post a Comment