Saturday, April 4, 2009

Five on Kirrin Island Again

Title: Five on Kirrin Island Again
Author: Enid Blyton
Series: The Famous Five, book 6
Genre: Children's adventure
Published: 1947

Recommendation: a quick read for those who are already enjoying the series.
Rating: 7/10

Summary: Julian, Dick, George, and Anne are back at the Kirrin cottage for Easter holidays. There George's scientist father took over the Kirrin Island to conduct mysterious experiments. However, Uncle Quentin seems to think there is someone spying on him at the island. There is also a new couple in town, Mr. Curton and his son Martin soon become acquainted with the children. And the father is awfully interested in what's happening on the island...

Reactions: This installment to the adventures of The Famous Five was an exceptionally quick read. I think It was almost half the size of the previous book and I had no trouble finishing it in one sitting. As with the previous book I enjoyed the characters and surroundings more than the plot itself.

I thought there were some pretty funny moments where the children discuss the experiment Uncle Quentin is conducting on the island.
I want to keep an eye on Father! I don't want him blowing up Kirrin Island with one of his experiments. You know he's messing about with explosives now, don't you?' 'Ooooh - atom bombs, or things like that?' said Anne.
The five also discuss what they want to be when they grow up:
'It's all very mysterious,' said Julian. 'Uncle Quentin leads rather an exciting life, really, doesn't he? I wouldn't mind being a scientist myself. I want to be something really worthwhile when I grow up I'm not just going into somebody's office. I'm going to be on my own.
'I think I shall be a doctor,' said Dick.
'Off to get my boat,' said George, rather bored with this talk. She knew what she was
going to do when she was grown-up live on Kirrin Island with Timmy!
It's funny to see the older boys have professions in mind and see George stick to a completely unrealistic idea. One of the great things about this series is that you get to like the characters so much you want to keep reading just to see them progress and develop even if some of the adventures are a little silly.

Other than that, there was again a lot of nice food, walks to the moor, and of course adventures!

No comments:

Post a Comment