Wednesday, January 1, 2014

Happy New Year!

Today is a five year anniversary of this blog. Who would have thought that a new year's resolution that I made five years ago would end up sticking around for so long. But I definitely enjoy this too much now to stop. If only for the reason that I like being able to go back and see what I thought of one book or the other. Though knowing that someone is reading this and hopefully maybe even joining me in reading some particular book is quite gratifying too.

Last year I met my reading goal of 40 books -- and it felt like a pretty good goal. It had me finishing that last 40th book on the night of Dec 30th. So I decided to keep that goal again for this year. Also I plan to read a couple of non-fiction books this year. I heard they are good for your mind, the way fiction is good for your soul.

Christmas topped-up my reading pile this year. I received the first three books of Silo series by Hugh Howey  (Wool, Shift, Dust) and I have started reading the first one already. I also bought City of Dragons and Blood of Dragons by Robin Hobb because they were on a $2 Kindle sale. They are third and fourth books in the Rain Wilds Chronicles and since I've read the first two a while back, I figured I'd finish the series.

I am also replenishing my wish list with the books everyone is talking about in their year end lists:
  • Ancillary Justice by Ann Leckie has been talked about a lot this year and I am really curious to see what all the fuss is about
  • Love Minus Eighty by Will McIntosh sounds like a novel with a pretty intriguing concept and also received a number of glowing reviews
  • The Mad Scientist's Daughter by Cassandra Rose Clarke is a young adult sci-fi novel that sounded interesting, though I don't necessarily expect that much
If you have more recommendations for me, I will be glad to hear them as well.

There are also several films coming out in 2014 that I am looking forward to watching this year. Divergent is slotted to come out at the end of March and I think it will be a fun flick. The Fault in our Stars is coming out at the beginning of June. I find it hilarious that both movies cast Shailene Woodley as the main character. Is there really a shortage of petite teenage actresses in Hollywood? She does fit the look though, so perhaps it will work out.

A week before Divergent, there will also be a release of the Veronica Mars movie. I am definitely going to see that since I've now seen the TV series twice. It's awesome that they got funded by Kickstarter. Now we just need to raise money for more Firefly episodes (yes, yes, I know that's not happening, but a girl can dream).

2 comments:

  1. "that I like being able to go back and see what I thought of one book or the other"

    I think that's the only reason I blog. I am my blog's biggest reader.

    What does your gut say about The Fault in our Stars movie?

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am actually hopeful about The Fault in Our Stars being pretty good. I think it's a book that can be translated into a movie quite well. I doubt it's gonna win any Oscars, but I expect it to be enjoyable at least.

    ReplyDelete