Sunday, September 1, 2013

July and August Recap

Even though I've left school quite a few years ago, it's hard to not associate September with the start of the school year. I sort of miss the trips for school supplies and the anticipation of new classes. When I was in elementary school, they used to give us lists of books to read through the summer. Now I just wish that I would have three months off to laze around and read books and have someone cook for me. Despite not getting the summer vacation, I did do quite a bit reading this summer and I am happy with all the reading I have done. There were lots of enjoyable books in the past two months.
  1. The Algebraist by Iain Banks
  2. The Ocean at the End of the Lane by Neal Gaiman
  3. Lean In by Sheryl Sandberg
  4. Graceling by Kristin Cashore
  5. Blackout by Connie Willis
  6. All Clear by Connie Willis
  7. The Human Division by John Scalzi
  8. Boy Nobody by Allen Zadoff
  9. Divergent by Veronica Roth
  10. Insurgent by Veronica Roth
I enjoyed Connie Willis' books very much. This has been my year for lots of WWII lit and Willis has really brought the period into color for me. I also really enjoyed watching The Bletchley Circle which is a short series following four women who were code-breakers during WWII and reunite again after the war to find a serial killer on the loose.

I also got to meet Louise Penny this month whose mystery series I've been devouring all year. I went to her talk and book signing and found myself the youngest person in the room by a 30 year margin. She signed her latest novel, How the Light Gets In, for me and I actually asked her about the unsatisfying relationship conflict in the previous book, A Beautiful Mystery. She defended her character choices, and though I wasn't necessarily convinced, I am looking forward to the latest book to see where she takes it next.

No comments:

Post a Comment