Sunday, August 7, 2011

The Last Colony

Title: The Last Colony
Author: John Scalzi
Series: Old Man's War, book 3
Genre: Science Fiction
Published: 2007

Recommendation: Absolutely worth reading if you have read the first 2 books in the series. And if you haven't -- you should!
Rating: 7.5/10

Summary: John, Jane, and Zoe live quietly on a colony as a family until John and Jane are offered a position as colony leaders for a new hybrid colony Roanoke that will take colonists from 10 existing planets. But the colony's life won't be simple with the new threat of the Conclave...

Reactions: I was traveling this weekend and managed to have my flight delayed both on the way there and back. The only upside to this was that I got to read The Last Colony -- and in fact finish it before my return flight took off the ground.

The Last Colony returns to the main character of the first book, John Perry and I greatly enjoyed having him back. While Jane can be pretty kick-ass, I think it's John's sarcasm that I missed in the second book.

The story flows quickly, taking lots of twists and turns. I liked the political intrigue that permeated the book and the character interactions on the colony. I was also very satisfied with how the series got wrapped up.

My main issue with the book is some deux ex machina applied to get the characters out of a sticky situation on their new colony. But all-in-all the fun reading experience outweighed some small eye-rolling aspects of the story. I would absolutely recommend this series as a whole.

2 comments:

  1. When you get a chance you really should pick up the companion book to this one, Zoe's Tale. It is considered YA because Zoe is the protagonist, but it reads just as entertainingly as the other three books. It actually goes through the events of The Last Colony through Zoe's eyes and while this sounds like it might just be a repeat of what you just read, it is not at all. And interestingly enough he got so much guff about the ending and not including more explanation as to why things happen at the end that he outlines it more in this book. Its very good, I think you'd like it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I already bought it :) I really do like Zoe, so looking forward to her as a protagonist. A few more explanations would be great too.

    ReplyDelete